Monday, November 15, 2010

Why do I have to choose?

We live in a day and age of growing acceptance for sexuality and the defying of gender roles.

That is, it's okay to be transexual.

It hasn't hit mainstream acceptance, and there are still towns where you can get your ass killed for being an open and out transexual. But the seed of acceptance has been sown, and there are communities where it's okay to be who you are.

There's a choice.

You can identify as male.

You can identify as female.

And people will still love you.

But identifying as male or female is labeling yourself. And for people who want that label, that's fine. But I have a hard time seeing why I have to choose. I'm bisexual. I'm female-by-birth, and a butch dyke. For me the lines separating gender feel very, very thin. I honestly couldn't care less if you are male or female, I will approach you the same way (both in terms of friendship and attraction).

I like being a girl. I like being able to dress up and do girly things.

I like being a guy. I enjoy going out with my butch haircut an a bound chest and being treated like a male. Because there is a difference, whether you believe it or not.

And, on a sexual level that transcends what you really want to know, I find the concept of strap-ons enticing.

Male. Female.

I don't want that label. I'm not a f-to-m transexual, of that I'm sure. I like my lady-bits where they are. But I hate that I have to just be female. I hate that androgyny is less acceptable than transexuality.

Why do I have to be one or the other? Why can't I just be me? Why do I have to choose?

1 comment:

  1. "I find the concept of strap-ons enticing."

    My biggest fantasy right there.

    And are you saying you are a hermaphrodite? :o

    ReplyDelete